When you make plans to move, you’re faced with decisions: where to find a place, what floor to live on, and who will help you move. Another big question? How you’ll decorate. Luckily, all people have the potential to live in a space they’ll love with the help of thoughtful interior design. Still unsure of how to proceed? Don’t worry! Just try out these helpful, creative ways to decorate a small space.
- Hang photos. Do you have snapshots, Polaroids, or photos that you don’t know where to place? Find a spinning mobile with photo clips and hang it on your ceiling. You can hang it over the bed or couch. This will keep people from running into it, and it will allow you to look up at treasured photos every time you relax. This unique item is also a tasteful conversation piece. Not wanting to go the mobile route? Simply frame some photos and place them strategically around your apartment.
- Add in some light garlands. Light garlands aren’t just for the holidays. As a pretty—and less bright—alternative to lamps and overhead lighting, they can add a sense of coziness and warmth to a small space. You can find all kinds of options too—little lanterns, lights shaped like hearts or stars, or a colored string of lights can adorn your walls.
- Put up a tapestry. Don’t want posters or paintings? Try a tapestry! These longer pieces of art will give more dimension to your room, as well as a unique decoration. Plus, if you use adhesive hooks to hang your tapestry up, you won’t have to worry about making holes in the wall.
- Make use of space. Though it may be trendy to put beds and couches in the middle of the wall, it sure does restrict the amount of room you have. Instead, put beds, couches, and other large furniture away from the center of the room. This also has the added effect of making your space look—and feel—cozy.
- Go taller, not wider. If you’re a book fanatic, film buff, or simply need some space for your clothes, finding the right shelves and furniture to store your items is important. Instead of selecting wider pieces, try and go for taller bookshelves, wardrobes, and dressers. That way, you can still make the most of your space, all the while benefiting from a vast amount of storage.
- Find one or two statement pieces for the living room and the bedroom. As you’re exploring ways to decorate a small space, statement pieces are a great way to assert your sense of style. Even better, they don’t even need to take up a lot of room. You can choose a sleek ottoman with storage, a neon sign to hang up on the wall, or a cool vintage mirror. Don’t be afraid to check out second-hand places—you’ll most likely find a host of affordable and beautiful statement pieces that will suit your style.
- Mirror mirror, on the wall. Mirrors are an easy and inexpensive way to decorate a small space. It’s no secret that mirrors make any space feel twice as large, not to mention they reflect light in a way that will brighten up your apartment.
Decorating an apartment isn’t easy. Not only do you have to find a way to nicely arrange your belongings, but you may have to do so in a limited space, depending on the apartment’s size. Even if you find yourself at a loss for ways to decorate a small space, these helpful tips will let you up your interior design game. Tapestries, lights, and statement pieces—your lovely apartment will look even lovelier!
Still searching a wonderful apartment to call your own? Visit our website here. In the meantime, keep up with more helpful tips for apartment renters and with what’s going on around Clover Leaf Apartments by reading our blog.