Phenix City, Alabama, the county seat of Russell County, is situated in the easternmost point of Alabama. Along with four Georgia counties, Phenix City helps make up the Columbus Metropolitan Area. The suburb, which is only a stone’s throw away from Columbus, Georgia, thrives along the banks of the Chattahoochee River. Here are a few fast facts about Phenix City, Alabama, a booming community that neighbors Columbus, Georgia, is only a short drive from many other major metropolitan areas and of course, home to Clover Leaf Apartments!
- Phenix City, Alabama has grown into the largest metropolitan area in Russell County.
- Russell County comprises the only county in Alabama included in the Columbus Metropolitan Area.
- A section of Phenix City rests in Lee County, which technically makes it part of the Auburn metropolitan area as well.
- In 1955, Look Magazine named Phenix City as an All-America City. BusinessWeek followed suit in 2007, awarding the city the honor of Best Affordable Suburb for raising a family.
- According to city data, there are approximately 108,000 employable residents within the city’s limits. Georgia’s nearby Fort Benning constitutes the largest regional employer for the city, employing approximately 42,000 people.
- Phenix City used to be divided into two separate towns. The northern part was named Brownville, while the southern town was called Girard. In 1871, the U.S. Post Office mistook Brownville for a previously-established city with the same exact name in Tuscaloosa County. After this confusion, “Lively” replaced Brownville as the city’s name.
- Phenix City, while in Alabama, sets its clocks to Eastern Standard Time. Even though Alabama legally observes Central Standard Time, Phenix City and the areas surrounding it use EST instead because of its proximity to Columbus, Georgia.
- Phenix City has three European sister cities. Colomiers, France, Kamenice, Czech Republic, and Västerås, Sweden comprise the three.
- The Phenix City National Little League made it to the Little League World Series final in 1999. This accolade gave the town increased renown.
- The city rests on the banks of the Chattahoochee River. Many local recreation opportunities and activities revolve around the river, with whitewater rafting, kayaking, zip lining, and fishing comprising major past times for residents.
If you’re looking at Phenix City, Alabama, as a possible place to live, give us at Clover Leaf Apartments a call at (334) 297-1072 or visit our website. Keep up-to-date with everything the city and surrounding areas have to offer by following our blog, which will let you know about local events, surprising specials, great deals, and more!